My best friend Jess is a real Aussie, and she lives in the Mission, and the last few years she’s thrown these amazing Australia Day parties involving food and beer and weird Aussie activities. This year, she’s doing it on a grander scale, open to the public, in a big awesome venue, and I’m helping out a little. Here’s the plan according to the official invite (and I’ll add some translations for my fellow Americans):
• TRIPLE J’s HOTTEST 100 streamed live from 5pm! [A national tradition! They all listen to this one radio broadcast, which counts down the best songs of the year over the course of 8 hours. It's sort of an NPR type station, so the jams lean indie.]
• A big indoor GOON OF FORTUNE! [Kind of like Wheel of Fortune but with a clothesline and bagged wine.]
• Hot SAUSAGE ROLLS and CHEESYMITE SCROLLS! [Possibly the best part! Aussie snack foods! Sausage roll is sausage meat rolled up in pastry dough. Cheesymite scrolls involve cheese and Vegemite, and more dough!]
• LORDE lookalike contest (cuz she’s gonna win the top spot, and you know it, is why) [This is basically just to troll the Aussies. They're all, "You know she's from New Zealand, right?" And we're like, "YES but she is going to be #1 on the Hottest 100, so...]
• *Aussie-Rules* BERLIN-STYLE PING PONG [Like American-style Berlin-style ping pong, but you run the *other way* around the table.]
• Aussie-themed photo ops [We're renting a kangaroo costume!]
• COOPERS Pale Ale & Sparkling Ale [Legit Aussie beers! Rare in the U.S.]
Sounds good, right? Plus there will be a few more food options, and Folsom Street Foundry, where we’re doing this, is the most awesome new event space in town. Cavernous yet warm and comfortable, a lovely staff, and it’s easily accessible from the Mission! So, get tickets here. RSVP and invite friends here.
Also, let’s give away some tickets! In the comments section below, tell us what you love about Australia or Australians. Winners will be selected randomly or based on merit and notified ASAP.