My pal Nattles and I have a beef. We both like both places, but she prefers Boogaloo’s, and I prefer St. Francis, and sometimes it’s a problem. We decided to enumerate what we like about each place. First, Nattles and Boogaloo’s:
- The people watching: Omer at the steps of that government building across the street (when he was around), the sidewalk sales on those steps… The bike lane & increased traffic in general on Valencia means you’re liable to run into more friends (and enemies) and see more strange sights.
- The Boogaloos Classic: vegetarian biscuits and gravy. BOOM.
- Desayuno Tipico: plantain cake!
- I like flipping my coffee cup to indicate that Yes, I would love coffee like at an old school diner.
- Corner shop – All the light!
- Friendly people!
- Coffee to-go at the front is serve yourself.
- Nice to go alone to.
- Straight up I’ve never found a dish at St. Francis that I *really* like, and I have two at Boogaloos that I haven’t strayed from in over 5 years.
Fair enough. Now me and St. Francis:
- St. Francis has FRIES
- It’s on 24th Street
- There’s always a spot at the counter (unbeatable for solo dining)
- It’s not on Valencia
- The mimosas are better
- The people watching is also great (24th Street!)
- It’s not so bright! When you’re hungover, sometimes you don’t want it so bright!
- I almost always order a grilled cheese sandwich with avocado and tomato and an egg over easy on the side, which I then plop on the sandwich. I’ve gotten this at both places and St. Francis just does it better. And it’s way better with fries, doy.
- You get to watch sundaes and floats being made
- Three’s Company trading cards for sale
- On the rare occasion you have to wait for a table, the little bench out front is pretty clutch
- Overflow dining room on the weekends, super-clutch
- I just love the staff so much
- You get to listen to the Clash or Talking Heads almost every single time
I love both places though. (FRIES!) Anyone else have any thoughts?